Kimberly graduated from McGill Law School in 1994. In 2007 she continued her legal education and was awarded a Masters in Tax Law by the University of British Columbia.
Since graduating from McGill, she has practiced law with a large national law firm in Toronto, Ontario, and worked with one of the world’s multinational law firms in London, England, where she worked on a multi-billion pound piece of insolvency litigation, which involved the defence of a major American bank against charges of collusion and fraud.
Kimberly now lives and works in Kelowna. She is a partner at Sabey Rule and specializes in Estate Planning, Estate Administration and Estate Litigation.
She deals with many complex estate administrations that involve assets and/or beneficiaries outside the country and has engaged in post-mortem tax planning to assist beneficiaries, and helps families to come up with creative solutions to disputes over the administration process in an effort to avoid litigation if possible.
Kimberly also specifically deals with Trust issues in a lot of her work, both on the drafting side and on the interpretation/litigation side. In recognition of her expertise in this niche area, she was asked to speak at the national level, in a live course held in Toronto in October 2016, introducing new lawyers to the wills and estates area of the law.
Kimberly is the past chair of the Canadian Bar Association Wills and Estates Subsection for the Okanagan and is a member of the Kelowna Estate Planning Society.
Kimberly has been asked to present at the upcoming Canadian Bar Association National Conference April 15-19, 2018 in Toronto: topic to be determined.
- Estate Planning for Blended Families, CBA Family Law Subsection, Kelowna, Summer 2011
- Estate Planning for Blended Families, with Stan Rule, Kelowna Estate Planning Society, Kelowna, February 21, 2012
- Becoming an Executor, Okanagan College, Kelowna, 2012-2016
- Basic Estate Planning, Okanagan College, Kelowna, 2013-2016
- Advanced Estate Planning, Okanagan College, Kelowna, 2013-2016
- Wills and Estates Essentials, UBC Okanagan faculty seminar, Kelowna, April 29th, 2014
- Death Is Not the End: Estate Administration Workshop, Continuing Legal Education, Vancouver, February 12th and 13th, 2015
- The Intersection of the Family Law Act and the Wills, Estates and Successions Act, Kelowna Estate Planning Society, Kelowna, February 9th, 2016
- Building Your Estate Litigation Practice, Continuing Legal Education presentation, with Candace Cho, Vancouver, Pan Pacific Hotel, February 26th, 2016
- The Intersection of the Family Law Act and the Wills, Estates and Successions Act, Vernon Estate Planning Council, Vernon, April 13th, 2016
- Wills Drafting Workshop in the Context of Estate Planning, Continuing Legal Education, Vancouver, Pan Pacific Hotel, June 23rd and 24th 2016
- Busting the Trust, 2016 Wills and Estates Fundamentals Course, Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, Westin, October 2016
- “Promises, Promises”: Must they be kept? Proprietary Estoppel in the context of Estate Litigation, Vernon Estate Planning Council, November 13, 2019